Tuesday 11 January 2011

Vince Cable's hat.

Before Christmas Vince Cable got himself into some hot water when he suggested to reporters posing as constituents that Rupert Murdoch was unfit to control even more media organisations in the UK. As Business Secretary charged with adjudicating any future media sector take-overs in an impartial way his private thoughts about Murdoch should have remained just that, private. In the political storm that followed Cable was pursued through the streets by the paparazzi. Whatever one might think of him, Vince Cable certainly knows how to wear a hat. He may have  become a 'damaged' Business Secretary, but at least he has retained his style.
Vince Cable and that hat.

Short of anything I really wanted for Christmas I bought myself a Vince Cable hat. They are known as Fedora - a pinched felt hat. They are very practical being warm and relatively waterproof.

I was also prompted to get a hat by my interest in the Victorian photographs  of Caerwys where every man wears a hat, and a good one at that; certainly not the ubiquitous 'beanie' hats that are de rigueur today.

The hat duly arrived from the Village Hat and Cap Company (recommended). In came in a large box with Village Hat and Cap Company written on the side; there was no hiding it. My Fedora looked stunning but would I have the courage to wear it? Well, I went for a walk in the dark with it on without incident. So emboldened I wore it for work. All went well until a good friend asked if I was going to a fancy dress party!

Vince Cable may have lost his place as the nation's favourite politician, but for me he is still to be admired for his courage to wear a very dashing hat.
What of my Fedora?

1 comment:

  1. be bold - wear the hat! Life's too short to be told what you should wear - shouldn't every day be a party anyway?

    ReplyDelete