Friday 16 September 2011

My fitness pal: up-date

My fitness pal is an application for my Blackberry; it sets the number of calories I can eat each day based upon my weight and the amount of exercise I do. For the past 110 days I have followed it religiously, even becoming a diet bore to those that still care to listen. It has been a relatively easy diet to follow as no foods are prescribed; the only rule being that one must not go beyond the daily limit given by the program. Additional calories can be gained through exercise. I have written about this before, but today I reached the landmark figure of having shed 50lbs. I will continue for a while yet before trying to stabilise my weight by adjusting the programs settings. I will try later to formulate a blog on the impact losing so much weight so quickly.

The screen shot from  myfitnesspal showing the landmark 50lbs figure.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tim.

    That sounds like a brilliant app. - very motivational.

    Saying that, a weight loss program is very hard without heaps of steely determination and hard work (gastric bands and crystal meth excepting, but not recommended) so, many congratulations to you.

    I think you have more than earned the right to be a 'diet bore' to whomever you brandish your Blackberry at, but I suspect you are seen more as a source of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouraging comments. I expect it all to become tougher as the dark evening encroach upon my exercise time. I am not a gym type of person so I will have to devise some calories busting exercises over the winter months. The impact of losing so much weight is mostly positive, but not entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about gyms. I joined one in January and actually enjoyed going but then I had to suspend my membership (the gym wouldn't let me cancel) when my boys' father stopped paying maintenance. The suspension ended after three months but I've since lost the bottle to go. I tell myself I'll start going again when I've lost some weight, which is ludicrous and kind of misses the point of my going in the first place. It's a shame because it had great facilities - I could very happily have lived in the steam room. Maybe you could get a bike stand so you can still ride your bike indoors? (I'm thinking maybe in the garage, rather than the lounge!)

    What are the negative impacts, that have you found, to your weight loss?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine I would like the social situation of the gym, but it seems such a bother to drive six miles or so to the nearest, when I can hop on my bike or walk locally in the hills. I do have a device that fits onto my bike so I can pedal and the bike remains stationary. I will set that up for the winter. As you say the gym membership is so expensive; we do have one as part of our school, but pounding the treadmills alongside students would a little too much.
    As to your final point regarding negative impacts, well, I can't answer that one yet! At least not in blog or public form until I find the right words to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! impressed with the weight loss. I thought you were looking trim as you whizzed past me tonight on your bike. I so agree about the attraction of something you can do from the door. We have been walking every day for an hour and I love it but every evening it gets darker! What will I do when the light goes?

    ReplyDelete