Monday 2 April 2012

Remembering the Falkland war.

For me the Falkland war was a turning point in my political education. I can recall every detail of the conflict; I kept a cut-out map of the islands next to my bed and avidly traced the progress of the campaign. I recall listening the Saturday debate in the House of Commons, and applauded Thatcher's speech in which she bellowed:'Britain does not appease dictators'. I can see now that actually Britain does appease dictators, when in suits. Nevertheless, 30 years ago the Argentinian invasion of the Falklands seemed like a simple case of unwarranted aggression. I watched with not a little patriotic pride as the task force set off to bash the argies. This - at the time - did not seem a very complex issue, but now I can see that it was and feel very differently about the whole episode. At first it all seemed so exciting; I experienced, as then a Sixth Former, a real sense of the jingoism that was gripping the nation. As the conflict deepened my views began to change; the horrible exocet missile attacks on the British ships, and the truly awful (and probably illegal) attack on the Belgrano brought home to this 18 year old what war meant. I have hated war ever since. It never solves problems, but simply intensifies them. The Falklands war for me, and the country, was a turning point.

2 comments:

  1. I remember we were in the sixth form at the time - "British Constitution" - or politics - A Level. I remember my mate Mike Edwards and me were the only two opposing the war (I think - there might have been another) on the grounds that they obviously belonged to Argentina more than the UK. Now 30 years on and I'm actually thinking that the people who live on the Falklands should have the right to their own political control. Not ruled by Argentina or the UK but determined by themselves. They ought to be rich enough to do that with all that newly discovered oil!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember all that too. I managed to get examples from the Falklands in all my exams. I tend to agree with you about the solution today, but look back with a little horror at how easily I got swept up with the jingoism. I apologise if I failed to see your wisdom then.

      Delete